Oxygen consumption system
- Metabolic and calorimetric measurements from small animals
- Uses stable and accurate O2, CO2, flow, temperature and pressure sensors
- Includes MM-Comm software for complete plotting and logging of measurements
- MMX-series Expansion units available for up to 8 animals
- Measurement chambers for mouse and rat-size animals provided
- Oxygen analyzer type: paramagnetic
- Linearity (0 - 100%): +0.1% O2
- Repeatability: < 0.01% O2/hour
- Zero stability: +0.002% O2/hour
- Response time: 2.0 seconds
- Operating temperature: 0 - 65oC
- Maximum pressure: 15 psi
- Maximum sample flow: 250 ml/min
- Instrument measurement range: 0 - 24.5%
- Carbon Dioxide analyzer type: single-beam infrared
- Operating range: 0 - 5000ppm (0.5%)
- CO2 Linearity (full scale): 1%
- FS Zero drift: 2%
- FS/week Sensor cell temperature: controlled at 60oC
- Warm-up time: <15 min
- Maximum sample flow: 200 ml/min
- Instrument measurement range: 0 - 0.41%CO2
- Flow transducer: thermal mass flowmeter
- Flow range: 0 - 10,000 ml/min
- Linear flow range: 50 - 10,000 ml/min
- Response time: < 2S
- Operating temperature: -20 - 70oC
- Main unit analog outputs: flow, O2, CO2
- Analog signal outputs (rear panel): BNC jacks
- Flow output: 1mV/ml/min
- Flow output zero offset: 1.250V
- O2 output: 0.1667V/%O2
- CO2 output: 10V/%CO2
- Serial data output format: 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit
- Serial data interval: complete set of readings sent 1 per minute
- Serial output connector (rear panel): DB9 female
- Dimensions, main unit: 19W x 5.25H x 15D in.
- Power requirements:120/240V (switchable), 200VA
The MM-100 Metabolic Monitor System measures oxygen consumption (VO2) and CO2 production (VCO2) of small animals using the open circuit technique. The animal is placed in a closed chamber with a known flow of fresh air passing through it. Oxygen and carbon dioxide concentrations are measured at the inlet and outlet of the chamber. The three primary measurements (flow, O2, and CO2) enable the computation of oxygen consumption, CO2 production, Respiratory Exchange Ratio (RER), and heat production. Gas measurements are corrected for temperature and pressure.
Simple set up and operation
The animal is placed in the provided chamber and allowed to equilibrate. All gas, flow, and other measurements are shown on the front panel LCD display panel and sent to the attached computer running the MM-Comm software. The computed measurements for O2 consumption, CO2 production, and other derived measurements are plotted. Data can be logged to simple ASCII files for further analysis. Standardization against room air is automatically performed at intervals, so the accuracy of the system is maintained for long intervals of monitoring.
MM-Comm Monitoring Software
Each MM-100 system includes WindowsTM software for graphically displaying and logging the metabolic data. This software provides a Data Panel showing all the current raw and computed measurements. Data is logged in a simple ASCII format for directly importing it into a spreadsheet or other analysis program. Each record is tagged with the animal number and time of the measurement.
Single and multiple chamber systems
A basic MM-100 system includes everything needed to monitor one animal. Expansion units are available for up to 8 animals using one host MM-100 unit. These are the MMX-2 and MMX-8 Expanders for 2 or 8 animals, respectively. When expansion units are in use, gas sampling and measurement is sequenced from one chamber to the next. This results in an accurate, economical system for screening large numbers of animals for these important physiological parameters.
Dessicant Bulk (Anhydrone)
Bulk Drierite dessicant, Anhydrone.